Energy Source is taking a break today and will return on Tuesday.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2013 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.
Energy Source is taking a break today and will return on Tuesday.
[Update: latest post with video feed embedded is here].
BP finally abandons the attempted “top kill”, after trying for more than 72 hours
11.30pm BST (5.30pm EDT, 6.30pm CDT)
As the pessimists have been predicting for some time, BP has been forced to abandon its “top kill” attempt to force mud down its leaking well to stop the oil escaping.
Now on to the next plan. Not so much Plan B as Plan F, already. The idea now will be to cut off the pipes at the top of the blow-out prevented, exposing the Lower Marine Riser Package, and allowing a container to be connected up to it that will catch the oil and allow it to rise up a pipe to the surface. Like all of these efforts, this has not yet been done before in 5,000 feet of water. It also carries risks: not least that by cutting away the buckled pipe at the top of the BOP, you will make is easier for oil to escape.
The new plan will take about four days to execute, BP says. And if that fails, then it will be on to Plan G: fastening a new blow-out preventer on to the top of the existing one on the well, which failed in the accident on April 20.
BP’s statement explains:
Despite successfully pumping a total of over 30,000 barrels of heavy mud, in three attempts at rates of up to 80 barrels a minute, and deploying a wide range of different bridging materials, the operation did not overcome the flow from the well.
The Government, together with BP, have therefore decided to move to the next step in the subsea operations, the deployment of the Lower Marine Riser Package (LMRP) Cap Containment System.
The operational plan first involves cutting and then removing the damaged riser from the top of the failed Blow-Out Preventer (BOP) to leave a cleanly-cut pipe at the top of the BOP’s LMRP. The cap is designed to be connected to a riser from the Discoverer Enterprise drillship and placed over the LMRP with the intention of capturing most of the oil and gas flowing from the well. The LMRP cap is already on site and it is currently anticipated that it will be connected in about four days.
This operation has not been previously carried out in 5,000 feet of water and the successful deployment of the containment system cannot be assured.
Drilling of the first relief well continues and is currently at 12,090 feet. Drilling of the second relief well is temporarily suspended and is expected to recommence shortly from 8,576 feet
More on relief well suspension; LMRP; black plumes
2.09pm BST (10.09am EDT, 9.09am CDT)
The BP video feed is showing the riser outflow, rather than the BOP that was on view much of yesterday. It’s still showing a billowing plume of what appears to be oil. Heading Out on The Oil Drum believes the riser would not show a reduced flow until the injections of mud and junk are almost completed, because its smaller cracks would take longer to be blocked by the junk.
Here’s a re-cap of the procedures being carried out or considered:
1. The top kill and junk shots - there is a good simple description at the top of Friday’s The Oil Drum thread. It also explains why the procedure would stop and re-start several times.
2. LMRP/new containment vessel
UpstreamOnline explains what the next tactic will be if the mud-and-junk approach fails:
If the top kill does not work, the UK supermajor plans to cut off the riser from the lower marine riser package (LMRP) and attach another to collect the flow.
The device would be coupled to a flex joint above the LMRP with a sealing grommet to keep water out of the flow and control gas hydrate formation.
The replacement LMRP cap is already on the sea floor, and BP’s chief operating officer Doug Suttles said late Friday that this could be deployed in about four days.
3. Second BOP
If neither the top kill nor the new containment cap works, the company is readying a second blowout preventer to place on top of the existing, broken BOP. This is why it has suspended work on the second relief well: it is readying the BOP from that well rig for this option. From Reuters:
BP spokesman David Nicholas said the company stopped that drilling so that rig’s blowout preventer could be retrieved from the seabed to be ready to place on top of the failed one if the company decides to do that. Each drilling rig uses a blowout preventer at the wellhead.
Drilling of second relief well suspended
12.20am BST (7.20pm EDT; 6.20pm CDT)
Suttles confirmed drilling of the second relief well had been suspended [update on the update: this was to make that rig's blowout preventer available to put on top of the failed BOP, if necessary]. Audio of the latest press conference is now available.
Another 24 – 48 hours, says Suttles
11.55pm BST (6.55pm EDT; 5.55pm CDT)
From Reuters: HOUSTON, May 28 (Reuters) –.’s “top kill” operation to choke off a blown-out well with heavy mud will continue for another 24 to 48 hours, Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles told a media briefing on Friday.
Reports of temporary stall to pumping
11.30pm BST (6.30pm EDT; 5.30pm CDT)
The New York Times is reporting the procedure stalled again early Friday, quoting an anonymous source:
The company suspended pumping operations at 2:30 a.m. Friday after two junk shot attempts, said the technician, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the efforts.
The newspaper says pumping resumed after almost 12 hours.
The Oil Drum’s latest discussion thread is here. They are also running an IRC channel, for old-school types; instructions near the top of the thread.
More FT coverage here.
In China’s endless drive to find new energy sources, the big overseas oil deals have won most of the deadlines, but the news today that PetroChina is ramping up investment in coal-bed methane is a reminder of the potential boom in natural gas in China.
According to Reuters, PetroChina said today that it would spend more than $1.5bn over the next three years to develop 4.5 billion cubic metres of production capacity of coal-bed methane – almost double the country’s entire capacity at the moment.
Update: Latest post (with video embedded) has moved here.
BP is broadcasting footage from its “top kill” attempt to plug the leaking Macondo well by pumping heavy drilling fluid down it.
The images, from cameras on remotely-controlled submarines near the sea bed in 5,000 feet of water, are often hard to make out. When the scene is clear, you can see the blow-out preventer – the system of valves intended to prevent releases of oil and gas, which failed in the accident – and a plume of drilling “mud” escaping from it.
FT Energy Source is providing regular updates on the attempt to plug the well, after the jump. Click refresh on your browser screen to see the latest updates.
BP’s chief operating officer Doug Suttles made two appearances on CNN last night. In the first he confirmed that the drilling had re-started, and that the suspension actually began late on Wednesday night.
In the second interview, when asked by CNN presenter John King whether the company should have told people, Suttles said:
Using the new official estimate of 12,000 to 19,000 barrels per day, for 37 days, the below table shows the amount spilt at Deepwater Horizon against the largest ocean spills since 1972 — and Exxon Valdez:
And you thought 5,000 feet was deep – FT Energy Source
The decision to halt all deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico for at least six months has inevitably riled the industry, with the American Petroleum Institute calling it a ‘moratorium on economic growth and job creation’.
Existing deepwater production and both exploration and production in shallow water (where the vast majority of GoM activity takes place) are not affected — but the new deepwater GoM projects were an important source of projected growth in US oil production over the next five to 10 years, creating a temporary reversal in US production decline.
- ‘I probably should apologise to folks that we haven’t been giving more data on that’
- Energy and climate policy’s ‘modest stimulative impact’ in the first decade
- ‘If CCS isn’t happening now it is simply not going to happen’
- A new era for oil industry?
- Debate over drilling halt
- Obama faces a ‘no win’ dilemma on offshore drilling
- BP sees leak estimates jump - FT
- BP to add junk to top kill - UpstreamOnline
When an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico exploded April 20, caught fire and eventually sunk, it was a shock for the oil industry. The sector prides itself on being high-tech and has spent years urging more access, arguing it had the expertise and technology to prevent a disaster of the scale that is unfolding. Indeed, Rayola Dougher, senior economic advisor at the American Petroleum Institute, captured the industry’s response when she said the industry was more shocked than anyone that this could have happened.
There’s a concern this could be a major setback. The Obama administration has put a moratorium on new drilling permits for the Gulf and is expected today to extend the moratorium on deepwater permits, and announce other new measures.
But to the oil industry, this is a challenge to overcome. Companies involved in recovering oil and gas still believes they can – and will – continue to access the rich resources of the Gulf, once it proves it can stop a leak at 5,000 feet under the ocean and keep it from contaminating some of the most vulnerable shorelines in America. The industry’s confidence comes largely from its history of overcoming technical challenges.