- “They gave us an order: who wants to go volunteer?” said one of the Russian soldiers sat in Lugansk’s only functioning restaurant, just the latest evidence that, despite its denials, Russia is sending troops for combat in Ukraine
- A spate of acid attacks on women are thought to be part of an increasingly bitter power struggle between Hassan Rouhani, Iran’s president, and his hardline opponents
- As it begins a new round of bond-buying, the European Central Bank faces a lack of faith among investors that policy makers can achieve its policy aims without delving into more risky markets
- Whoever wins the Brazilian presidential run-off on Sunday better be ready to kiss the ring of the PMBD: the kingmaker and real power in Brazilian politics
- Thousands of young Israeli emigrants are flocking to Berlin, bringing back Jewish culture to a country that nearly extinguished it but also sparking an uproar in Israel
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.