- Barack Obama swept to victory — if you missed it, here’s his speech. He talked of the US as a union that is “greater than the sum of our individual ambitions… more than a collection of red states and blue states.”
- Lionel Barber, editor of the FT, has taken at a look at the real tests facing the US after the election. Ed Luce thinks a fiscal grand bargain and a renewed effort at bipartisanship are the first challenges.
- Gerald Seib has mulled over the lessons for the Republican party after this victory, which the Wall Street Journal described in an editorial as an “ugly” win.
- The Washington Post examined how CNN managed to triumph over its cable competitors. It also put together this interesting graphic on how the voting demographic has changed since the last election. Meanwhile on Fox News, Karl Rove took a lot of convincing about what he thought was an early call on Ohio.
- In Europe, the EU budget battle is putting David Cameron and Angela Merkel’s visions of Europe in stark contrast.
- Russia’s defence minister has fallen victim to a high-level power struggle — Vladimir Putin fired Anatoly Serdyukov amid allegations of corruption and rumours about his private life.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2013 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.