- International lenders struck a deal in the early hours of Saturday morning for a bailout of Cyprus that includes a tax on bank deposits, causing outrage among Cypriots and Russian leaders – Peter Spiegel has the lowdown on how the deal was done.
- Ten years after the Iraq invasion, Roula Khalaf returns find a country engulfed in a political storm, where normal life is still a dream.
- The New York Times reports on a village on the West Bank that is testing the limits of unarmed resistance. Haaretz has already commented the criticism it is likely to attract.
- The Economist examines how “Israel’s right, frustrated Palestinians and assorted idealistic outsiders are talking of futures that do not feature a separate Palestinian state”.
- Advocates for domestic violence victims have called for stricter laws governing firearms – protective orders do not always force those under them to relinquish their guns.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2013 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.