By Toby Luckhurst
- The Washington Post argues that the Obama Administration must end its tacit support for the military government in Egypt.
- Hindus face violence in Bangladesh following the general election earlier this month.
- Daniel Dombey examines fears that Turkey’s economic success is threatened by prime minister Erdogan’s efforts to increase government control.
- In-fighting between rebel groups in Syria is strengthening Assad, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- Cameron’s promise of an EU referendum has backfired, argues Janan Ganesh, strengthening Eurosceptics and pushing Europe to the political foreground.
- Romanians fear that the allure of Western Europe is depriving their country of doctors.
- Reuters reports on claims the Egyptian military intends to turn on Hamas after thwarting domestic opposition.
- The New York Times writes on Pope Francis’s efforts at top-down reform of the Catholic Church.