- Abdel Fattah al-Sisi looks set to become Egypt’s next president yet he remains a mysterious figure. Robert Springborg at the department of war studies at King’s College has a briefing on the new face of Egypt’s old guard.
- The Carnegie Endowment illustrates Egypt’s instability – in numbers.
- Shadi Hamid in Politico says its time to get tough on Egypt.
- Saudi Arabia’s ruling family is increasingly hardline at home and aggressive abroad.
- The Guardian looks at what we stand to lose if the Great Barrier Reef dies.
- The Chinese bank run ends: the government intervened, police detained the “rumour-monger” and Sheyang bank officials tried to restore confidence by putting bricks of renminbi on display.
- Investors in Brazil are nervous that President Rousseff will cast aside economic restraint.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.