- Gideon Rachman argues that India needs a jolt and Narendra Modi is the man to provide it.
- When the political class tries its hand at populism it radiates inauthenticity, says Janan Ganesh.
- The FT explores the looming crisis in the US infrastructure network.
- A new and bloody front has been opened in eastern Syria as the country’s two most powerful jihadist groups battle for control of the region’s oilfields.
- Judge Saed Youssef, nicknamed “the Butcher”, has gained notoriety in Egypt: he has sentenced 1,212 people to their deaths in the past five weeks.
- The latest US sanctions don’t affect Putin’s personal fortune, they threaten Putin’s actual pressure point: the oil that is Russia’s lifeblood.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2015 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.