- A titanic canal project to draw water from the south of China to its industrial north is causing shortages in other parts of the country, risking environmental and economic fallout
- A billionaire Saudi investor broke ranks to slam the country’s oil minister’s sanguine stance on weakening oil prices, warning of a “catastrophe that cannot go unmentioned”
- US officials’ code of silence surrounding the strength of the dollar is evaporating, as they publicly discuss what an appreciating greenback means for the economy
- Iran’s Dark Knight, veteran spymaster Qassem Suleiman, is stepping into the limelight as the face of Tehran’s intensifying battle with the Islamic State
- Soccer in England is so expensive, fans are travelling all the way to Germany
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.