- The Republicans’ midterm victory, built on strong grassroots and a disciplined campaign, gives the GOP new hope of taking the White House in 2016
- A quarter of a century after the Berlin Wall was toppled, a party including ex-communists and other leftists is set to take charge of a regional government in Germany
- Overnight US-led airstrikes on Jabhat al-Nusra mark the first major offensive against a radical group in Syria other than the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis)
- Australia’s hardline ‘stop the boat’ asylum policy may be controversial, but its success is the envy of European governments grappling with immigration issues
- China is seeking to scatter ethnic minorities such as the Muslim Uighur across majority Han territories through labour programmes in order to defuse tensions in restive areas, reports the New York Times
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.