- Nigeria has risked its credibility by announcing a deal to free 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram before they are released safely
- Poland’s lossmaking coal industry, once seen as a bulwark against reliance on Russian energy resources, is in dire need of reform
- A severe drought in São Paulo is not just affecting Brazil’s coffee and sugar crops, it could also play out in Sunday’s presidential election run-off
- A weakening currency should mean a boost to exports and inflation, but that theory will be put to the test in the eurozone
- South Korea’s professional video game competitions, known as ‘e-sports’, are so popular they fill stadiums with 40,000 fans cheering on players
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.