- Large-scale intervention in the FX markets, limiting liquidity, further interest rate rises and capital controls are among the options that Russia’s central bank has to stem the rout in the rouble
- Jeb Bush, the scion of a political dynasty who has declared his interest in running for president, faces a gulf between what the Republican base wants and what US floating voters will tolerate
- Pope Francis was essential to breaking the deadlock between Cuba and the US that has lasted 50 years, initiating a discussion that led to the secret diplomacy behind the rapprochement
- The brutal attacks in Peshawar have already backfired against the Pakistani Taliban (Foreign Policy)
- Saudi cleric wants genders to mix and women to drive – but he is being attacked for it (Your Middle East)
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.