- The cancellation of the South Stream gas pipeline deals a blow to Serbia’s efforts to attract Russian investment, yet the country still treads a narrow path as it courts both Moscow and Brussels
- The flow of Opec petrodollars into global financial markets is set to dry up as the collapse in the oil price delivers a $316bn hit to the cartel’s revenues, removing a pillar of support from the global system
- The latest collapse of an investment firm offering high returns highlights financial risks lurking in the outer margins of China’s shadow banking system – and confusion over who regulates such companies
- A deadly epidemic caused by superbugs resistant to antibiotics is responsible for tens of thousands of newborn baby deaths in India, and it poses an overseas threat (New York Times)
- U.S. and allied forces have reportedly killed dozens of civilians in airstrikes while bombing the Islamic State. But the Defense Department refuses to take responsibility (Foreign Policy)
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.