- Greece is shaping up as a potential ally of Russia after its new leftwing prime minister rattled Europe’s defence and security chiefs by objecting to calls for fresh sanctions against Moscow
- In Germany, public unease over the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership has been fuelled by an energy company suing the government for €4.7bn over its decision to phase out nuclear power
- As the oil price slide hits public revenues, governments in the Gulf are finding it tough to grasp the nettle of reform as their record surpluses mutate into record shortfalls
- After Isis threatened to kill a Japanese hostage, Tokyo’s foreign policy, rooted in its pacifist constitution, stands at a tipping point, writes David Pilling
- Russia’s bizarre proposal to condemn West Germany’s 1989 ‘annexation’ of East Germany (Washington Post)
© The Financial Times Ltd 2015 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.