- Tunisia, the cradle of the 2011 Arab revolts, is making its transition to democracy as the sole survivor of that spring
- The former coca union leader turned president of Bolivia Evo Morales said a fourth term in office is not on the cards, following his re-election
- France’s enfant terrible and ex-president Nicolas Sarkozy is back and basking in the limelight
- Fears are mounting that Venezuela will soon default on its sovereign debt as global oil prices tumble
- Saudi Arabia beheaded 59 people so far this year – but hardly anyone is talking about it
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.