- The Assad regime is stepping up its use of chemical weapons against Syrian rebels as the west’s attention is diverted by Isis, say opposition activists
- Pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong are shining a light on the city’s deepening income divide in an attack on its laissez-faire economic system
- When it comes to Europe’s energy networks, Spain is an island – and it blames France for its isolation
- Do China’s GDP figures actually count for anything? Premier Li Keqiang’s past words are coming back to haunt him
- An obituary of Benjamin C. Bradlee, the legendary editor who led the Washington Post when the newspaper exposed the Watergate scandal
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.