- The civil war between Libya’s two competing political camps has spread to the country’s oil and water-rich south, as a proxy battle between two minority groups threatens a humanitarian crisis
- Crimean Tatars are facing abductions and violence amid a crackdown on dissent by their new Russian rulers that holds echoes of the persecution their forebears suffered at the hands of Stalin
- Israel’s construction of new Jewish settlements in occupied Arab East Jerusalem is turning up the heat on Jordan’s Hashemite monarchy, the guardian of the city’s Islamic holy sites
- A satay seller who posted doctored pornographic images featuring Indonesia’s current and former presidents on Facebook is facing a multiyear jail sentence as critics decry a clampdown on free speech
- The Republicans’ first step to election victory in the midterms was to crush rebels in their own party, with vetting that included sending fake campaign trackers to trail their own candidates, reports the New York Times
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.