- The suicide of Alexander Dolmatov, a Russian opposition activist, has prompted much soul-searching the Netherlands, a country that regards itself as a haven for exiles of conscience, but now finds its citizens are increasingly sceptical towards immigrants of all stripes.
- Angry voters battling economic hardship mean Naples will be a tough city to take and the south could hold the key at the Italian election.
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Turkish prime minister, has started toning down his rhetoric on the Kurdish conflict.
- Le Monde has examined François Hollande’s new approach in Africa. (FR)
- David Brooks argues that the Republican party should create a second GOP in order to survive.
- Justin Cronin’s “Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner” explains why he owns guns and why he still loathes the National Rifle Association.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2016 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.