By Toby Luckhurst
- Kenyan writer Binyavanga Wainaina describes coming to terms with his homosexuality after the death of his mother.
- Attitudes towards single motherhood in China are finally shifting.
- Former Prime Minister Tony Blair faced a citizens arrest from barman Twiggy Garcia for “a crime against peace” while dining in a Shoreditch restaurant.
- Evidence of “systematic killing” perpetrated by the Syrian government leads to calls for war crimes charges against the regime.
- Fethullah Gulen tells the Wall Street Journal that “democratic progress is now being reversed” in Turkey at the hands of prime minister Erdogan.
- Charles Lane in the Washington Post calls for an end to the “corrupt quadrennial exercise” that is the Olympics.
- There is little optimism about the Syrian peace talks after UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon’s volte-face on Iranian participation in negotiations.