By Toby Luckhurst
- John Kay’s open letter to Bill Gates restates his argument that the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.
- Scarlett Johansson is at the centre of a growing storm surrounding a Soda Stream manufacturing plant in the occupied West Bank.
- Borzou Daragahi reports on Egyptians’ zealous show of support for the military.
- Syria’s Islamist rebels have gained control of the country’s oil and are selling fuel to the Assad regime in exchange for protection from air strikes.
- Jan Cienski reports from Lviv – home to stalwarts of anti-Yanukovich sentiment and Ukrainian nationalism.
- Upbeat duck accepts premature lameness, writes Edward Luce on Obama’s State of the Union speech.
- Football stadia are at the forefront of the Chinese push for economic and political influence in Africa.