- Obama is trying to inject some momentum into the gun debate, but the congressional bill will be a diluted version of his original vision.
- Lebanon has again become a weather vane for the Middle East.
- Evangelical Christians are pushing Republican lawmakers to support US citizenship for the nation’s illegal immigrants, based on their reading of Bible teachings.
- Sarah Carr writes evocatively of the atmosphere and sectarian violence in Cairo.
- Humour is one of the most powerful weapons in the fight against authoritarianism – and dictators don’t like it.
- Jeremy Grant explains why the election in Malaysia will test regional as well as national stability.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.