- The prospect of intelligent machines improving human lives will depend on how the gains are produced and distributed, says Martin Wolf.
- Hassan Rouhani has fended off the hardliners and can count on the support of the supreme leader, but this depends on his being able to secure a longer-term nuclear deal that leads to a removal of sanctions.
- If Japan is really to put “women power” to work, it needs more revolutionary change, argues David Pilling.
- Ugly people are oppressed and to “imagine we could ever completely overcome this kind of natural inheritance… is a fantasy” according to Jonny Thakkar, a lecturer at Princeton.
- An Italian monastery has become a trendy atelier for brides looking to keep their wedding costs down.
- Without immigrants, the Swiss football team would be very different.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.