Welcome to our rolling coverage of Barack Obama’s inauguration for another four years as US president, complete with agenda-setting speech. By Johanna Kassel in New York and Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Washington with contributions from FT correspondents. All times are EST.
5.40 As we wrap things up for the night, a round up of the best the FT has to offer about President Obama’s second inauguration. Thanks for joining us
- Edward Luce: Lofty speech frames liberal core message
- Lawrence Summers: End the damaging obsession with deficit
- Jacob Weisberg: Obama’s encore must show more than pragmatism
- News analysis: Obama faces crowded agenda
- Editorial comment: The audacity of experience
5.30 As the parade continues, running about 45 minutes behind schedule, the arrival of the president and first lady at the balls will be delayed. We’ll leave them to review the rest of the floats and bands as the sun sets on Washington.