- The re-emergence of shadow currency dealers in Kiev, last seen after the collapse of the Soviet Union, is a sign Ukraine is again sliding into a financial crisis
- Unless Israel changes course, the bitter confrontation between Israelis and Palestinians in Jerusalem risks turning their seven decades-long conflict into a religious war
- Sanctions against Russia have not proved an effective deterrent, suggesting it is time for the west and Ukraine to cut a diplomatic deal with Moscow
- As the Kurds of Iraq close in on their long-held dream of independence, their exercise in nation-building is threatened by Isis terror, ructions with Baghdad and regional instability
- Parties of the radical left in Europe are right about what needs to be done in the eurozone
© The Financial Times Ltd 2016 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.