- Ten years ago Christine Spolar, FT investigations editor, reported on the Iraq war. She returned last month to find old colleagues and friends living in fear.
- China’s leaders love watching House of Cards because it confirms their perceptions of the workings of US government.
- Japan’s yakuza have seen their numbers decline for the first time in years: is it because of a police crackdown, or are they going underground?
- Francis Fukuyama looks at how effectively the US translates its economic power into foreign and security policies.
- Tatar leaders war of jihadi-style violence against Russia over its Crimea occupation.
- Lawrence Summers says the west should make modest promises to Ukraine and then strive to deliver more than it expects.
© The Financial Times Ltd 2015 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.