By Toby Luckhurst
- The USA can no longer rely on Egypt as a bulwark of stability in the Middle East, as jihadists return to the country to fight the military authorities.
- Oligarchs in eastern Ukraine are abandoning President Yanukovich’s regime.
- Iranian hardliners blocked the broadcast of a live interview with President Rouhani, exposing the political battle developing in the Islamic Republic.
- Critics question whether Narendra Modi can do for India what he has done for Gujarat if he wins the upcoming general election.
- Hugh Roberts in the London Review of Books questions the orthodox view of Hosni Mubarak’s deposition as a revolution.