By Toby Luckhurst
• Thailand’s state of emergency is an attempt to control a country transitioning from feudal monarchy to representative democracy, writes Michael Peel.
• The Washington Post comments on a report revealing that economic mobility in the US has stagnated for 50 years, leaving those growing up poor no more likely to climb the ladder than their grandparents were.
• Ukraine’s increasingly heated clashes between pro-EU activists and government forces are forging new warriors.
• The Sochi Winter Olympics have become a Putin vanity project costing at least $51bn, writes the New York Times.
• Increasing wages, a stronger currency and a dearth of workers are driving up production costs in China, leading to increasing consumer prices around the globe.