- President Obama’s long-awaited plans to overhaul the US immigration system will set up a showdown with Republicans that could lead to another government shutdown
- Cracks are beginning to appear in the vaunted Nordic model as the countries grapple with immigration, stagnating productivity and rising inequality
- Landlords at that quintessentially British institution, the pub, are drinking to a change in the law governing how they buy their beer, but pub groups aren’t so sure
- Is Spain about to embrace Chavismo? A new leftwing party with ties to Venezuela’s government is now the most popular party in the country
- The global response to the Ebola virus in Liberia is being hampered by serious disagreements between Liberian officials and the donors and agencies fighting the epidemic
© The Financial Times Ltd 2014 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.